Every year many people decide to rent Marinemax boats to enjoy their vacations at sea or to celebrate weddings, bachelor parties or anniversaries. These trips are an original and fun way to discover remote corners and quiet coves along the coastal geography. Here are 5 tips for renting a boat:
- Choose the type of boat: it is important to distinguish that boats manufactured since 2007 are considered new and those manufactured before 2002 are considered old. In addition, the bigger the boat, the more difficult it will be to maneuver, although, if it is longer, it will reach a higher speed. The most frequent modalities are:
Sailboats: one of the most popular options. It allows sailing with family or friends (up to a total of 12 people) at a lower cost, since the sails are cheaper than in a motor boat.
Catamaran: it is usually the same length as a sailboat, but wider. They have great stability and speed. In addition, their shallow draft allows them to access coves and secluded beaches.
Schooners: these are wooden sailing boats. Generally, they are more spacious boats that can accommodate up to 30 people, a combination of the thrill of sailing and the comfort of cruising.
- Is a skipper necessary? This will depend on the type of boat. If they are Marinemax boats up to 12 meters in length, a PER license (Patrón de Embarcaciones de Embarcaciones de Recreo) will be sufficient.
In addition to the license, experience is of great importance, so it is advisable to take a professional skipper on board, to be able to enjoy without this responsibility. This is one of the 5 most important tips to rent a boat.
- Payments and coverage: when renting the boat, it is necessary to take into account the payment of the deposit or the refundable deposit, paid in cash or by credit card before boarding. The rental should include the price of standard equipment, taxes, insurance policy, a dinghy, etc.
- What to take on board: it is advisable not to carry excessive luggage, as space is limited. The ideal is several towels, bathing clothes, light sleeping bags, nautical shoes, comfortable and breathable clothing and adequate sun protection. We can also include diving goggles, fins and medicine for seasickness.
- What extras to pay: we must know before signing the contract if the port fees are included, which will depend on whether the boat has a permanent mooring point or only includes the pick-up and drop-off fee. In this case, you have to pay for the days spent in port. Other extras are cleaning, use of Zodiac, sheets, towels, etc.
Keeping in mind these 5 tips for renting a boat will help us greatly when deciding which boat to choose and the plans we will take on board, but it is also important to take into account other factors such as budget or a good insurance that will allow us to enjoy the experience of renting Marinemax boats.